Thursday, June 13, 2013

Health Tip #1: Replace Your Unhealthy Breakfast With A Big Green Salad

I can't think of anything unhealthier than the typical breakfast foods: cereals (loaded with carbs, sugar, and chemicals like acetone), sausage, bacon, and eggs (fat, calories, cholesterol), milk and orange juice (fat, sugar, unnecessary calories), pancakes (sugar, simple carbs, butter), and the list goes on and on. Did you know that the only reason we eat eggs, bacon, and milk for breakfast is because of a massive PR campaign done in the 1920s  that promoted the meat & dairy industry? This campaign was done by none other than the "grandfather" of PR, Edward Bernays.
http://www.americantable.org/2012/07/how-bacon-and-eggs-became-the-american-breakfast/

Here's the problem. When we wake up, our body is naturally in starvation mode from going without food while we were sleeping. What it needs is lean protein, leafy greens, other vegetables, and some fruit. It craves nutrients, especially in the morning when it is without these nutrients.

The last thing our bodies need is a load of fat, calories, sugar, and cholesterol in the morning. This causes your body to work overtime trying to rid all the cholesterol from your blood and trying to push all those unhealthy ingredients through your system.

I decided to rid of these so-called "nutritious breakfast foods" from my diet. Instead of the meat, dairy, and sugar, I have started to fill up on a big, green salad in the morning instead. Here is my early breakfast today:

Ingredients: 1 large green bell pepper, 1 1/3 cups kale, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, juice of 1/2 a lime, and a sprinkle of sea salt and cayenne pepper.

Some days, I will put other things into this salad, such as avocados, cucumbers, spinach tomatoes, or any other healthy vegetable or fruit. Today, I craved kale and green pepper.


I know what you're thinking. Salad for breakfast?! Yuck! But it isn't nearly as weird as you may think. It might seem hard to force it down initially, but after doing this for a month and a half, my body craves its healthy greens in the morning. I look forward to having my early morning salad far more than I ever looked forward to bacon, eggs, and biscuits!
With an early morning salad like this one, you already have gotten tons of your daily nutrients, and this salad will fill you up much better than any processed foods. With this salad, I just loaded up on Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Iron, and other necessary nutrients.

I challenge you to start replacing your usual breakfast with a big, filling salad 2-3 time a week to start. You will notice how much more energy you have and how much healthier you feel by at least the third week. I do realize that it is also a good idea to have healthy proteins in your breakfast. Forget the bacon and sausage (for these are not healthy), and try cooking some quinoa and beans to eat after your salad. You can even grill some organic chicken and throw it into the salad as well if you are a meat eater. However, know that chicken has just as much cholesterol as a steak, so try to avoid it so early in the morning as possible.

Also, be sure to add a huge glass of water to the mix, or two, especially if you drink coffee (I know I need my morning coffee). Your body is quite dehydrated from going without fluids all night, so drink up!


No comments:

Post a Comment